Makes 20 cups (4.2 L); about 10 servings; serving size about 2 cups (480 ml)
Description of Fody's Hearty Low FODMAP Vegetable Soup
I was going to call this “minestrone” and it is reminiscent of that classic soup, but since we have made some low FODMAP adjustments, such as not using onions, white beans or Borlotti beans, and using a different pasta shape from ditalini (as we cannot find a LOFO version), we are just going to call this hearty low FODMAP vegetable soup.
And hearty it is! And quick and easy to make, taking advantage of Fody Low FODMAP Garlic-Infused Olive Oil, Fody Low FODMAP Chicken Soup Base and Fody Low FODMAP Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce. Please note that there are many ingredients in this luscious soup, and it could veer into moderate or high FODMAP territory if you do not adhere to serving sizes. We suggest brushing up on FODMAP Stacking for more information.
Fody's Hearty Low FODMAP Vegetable Soup Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons Fody Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup (36 g) finely chopped leek greens
- 1/2 cup (32 g) finely chopped scallion greens
- 12 cups (2.8 L) water
- 3 tablespoons Fody Chicken Soup Base
- 1 cup (250 g) Fody Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- 1, 15.5-ounce (439 g) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 medium carrots, scrubbed, trimmed and cut into ½-inch
- 1 medium stalk celery, trimmed and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, scrubbed, trimmed and diced
- 6-ounces (170 g) chopped Savoy cabbage
- 2-ounces (55 g) fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds crosswise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-ounces (55 g) baby spinach
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (90 g) raw low FODMAP, gluten-free elbow or small shell shaped pasta
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil, torn or chopped
Directions for Fody's Hearty Low FODMAP Vegetable Soup
Place Fody Garlic-Infused Olive Oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven and heat over medium heat. Add leek and scallion greens and sauté for a few minutes until soft. Add water, Fody Low FODMAP Chicken Soup Base and Fody Low FODMAP Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce, stir everything together and bring to a simmer, making sure soup base is dissolved. Add chickpeas, carrots, celery, zucchini, cabbage, green beans, dried basil and dried oregano and stir all the ingredients together well.
Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes until vegetables are crisp tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach and simmer for a few more minutes until spinach wilts. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a generous amount of salted water till al dente; drain and stir into soup. Soup is ready to serve, garnished with a light sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. You can also cool the ungarnished low FODMAP soup to room temperature and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat as needed.
About the Chef
Dédé Wilson is the author of 17 cookbooks, including co-author of The Low FODMAP Diet: Step By Step.
Recipe brought to you by FODMAP Everyday® where we help you thrive while following the Low FODMAP Diet.
This original Low FODMAP recipe was created by recipe developer and author Dédé Wilson. You can find many more original Low FODMAP recipes, food and diet guidance as well as resources, support and more at FODMAP Everyday®.fodmapeveryday.com