4 hour and 10 min
Makes about 20 cups (4.7 L); serving size 1 1/2 cups (360 ml)
Slow Cooker Low FODMAP Chicken Soup
When we first started using our slow cooker, we made stew after stew and it took us a while to realize that it is also a great appliance for brothy soups, such as this Slow Cooker Chicken Soup. Our version combines both dark and white meat chicken for extra succulence in addition to oyster mushrooms, carrots, parsnips and kale.
This soup is light yet very satisfying and we offer two versions - one with noodles and one without. Using FODY Chicken Soup Base makes this soup truly easy to make. We always have some in the pantry; we love that it is a dry shelf-stable product because it is always there when we need it.
Ingredients for FODY's Low FODMAP Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons FODY Chicken Soup Base
- 10 cups (2.4 L) water, divided
- 2 tablespoons FODY Garlic Infused Olive Oil or FODY Shallot Infused Olive Oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into large bite-sized chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into large bite-sized chunks
- 2 cups (150 g) finely chopped leek greens
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 medium stalk of celery, trimmed, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 8 ounces (225 g) cleaned and trimmed oyster mushrooms
- 1 1/2 teaspoons FODY Lemon & Herb Seasoning, more to taste
- 5 ounces (140 g) Lacinato kale leaves (large, heavy stems removed), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup (8 g) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces (340 g) wide Low FODMAP noodles, cooked and drained; optional
Cooking Directions for Low FODMAP Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
Place the FODY Chicken Soup Base in a large slow cooker. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil (stovetop) and pour over soup base. Give a quick whisk to combine and dissolve. Add remaining 6 cups of water (hot from tap); set aside. Heat a large sautée pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat until shimmering. Add about half of the chicken (some of both types; you can do this by eye) and sautée for a few minutes or until exterior surfaces are seared. Scrape into slow cooker when done.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to pan and heat over low-medium heat. Add leeks, carrots, parsnips, celery and mushrooms and sautée for several minutes or until softened. Add FODY Lemon & Herb Seasoning and sautée for 30 seconds more. Scrape mixture into slow cooker along with remaining chicken.
Set slow cooker for 4 hours on Low setting. After 2 hours (see Tip) stir in kale and parsley and continue cooking. When soup is done, taste, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and more FODY Lemon & Herb Seasoning, if desired. Soup is ready to serve as is, or add some cooked noodles, if you like.
Tip: You can be a little flexible with when you add the kale and parsley. You can do it at the 2 hour mark, or even the 3 hour mark; depending on what is more convenient for you.
About the Chef
Dédé Wilson is the author of 17 cookbooks, including co-author of The Low FODMAP Diet: Step By Step.
Recipe brought to you by FODMAP Everyday® where we help you thrive while following the Low FODMAP Diet.
This original Low FODMAP recipe was created by recipe developer and author Dédé Wilson. You can find many more original Low FODMAP recipes, food and diet guidance as well as resources, support and more at FODMAP Everyday®.fodmapeveryday.com
So, what are you waiting for?
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
Your cart -
Your cart is currently empty.