Makes 8 servings
Description of Fody's Low FODMAP Tex Mex Salad
This low FODMAP Tex Mex salad has so much flavor and texture going for it, and it is so satisfying and fun to make and eat that no one will think this is “diet” food. Bring this low FODMAP salad to a potluck and watch folks gather around the bowl. It is a combo of lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, black beans, radishes, bell pepper, olives and crumbled crunchy tortilla chips and the dressing is a 50/50 combo of Fody Low FODMAP Taco Sauce and Fody Garden Herb Low FODMAP Salad Dressing. This is a brilliant use of the Fody Taco Sauce, if I do say so myself. You are going to love it! And if that weren’t enough, you can leave out the cheese and have a vegan option! BTW, after a while the corn chips lose their crunch but somehow the salad doesn’t lose its appeal. Try it and see.
If you are surprised to see black beans in here, don’t be! They are low FODMAP per lab testing reports from Monash University in 40 g amounts.
Fody's Tex Mex Low FODMAP Salad Ingredients
- 3 medium heads Romaine lettuce (about 12-ounces/340 g), finely shredded
- 2 medium beefsteak tomatoes
- ½ red bell pepper, cored and cut into slivers
- ½ cup (130 g) canned, rinsed and drained black beans
- ¼ cup (40 g) canned, drained sliced black olives
- 3 red radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced into rounds
- 2-ounces (55 g) corn tortilla chips
- 6-ounces (170 g) cubed ripe avocado
- 2-ounces (55 g) shredded cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack or a combo; optional
- ½ cup (120 ml) Fody Garden Herb Low FODMAP Salad Dressing
- ½ cup (120 ml) Fody Low FODMAP Taco Sauce
Directions for Fody's Tex Mex Low FODMAP Salad
Place shredded lettuce in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and squeeze over the sink, discarding the seeds and juice. Dice the tomatoes and add to the lettuce. Add the red bell pepper, drained beans, olives, and radishes to the bowl and give everything a toss.
Crush the tortilla chips right over the salad and add the avocado - and cheese at this time, if using - and gently toss to combine.
Shake the Fody Garden Herb Dressing and Fody Taco Sauce together in a lidded jar and drizzle over the salad and toss gently to coat. Use only enough low FODMAP dressing to lightly coat the salad fixings and serve immediately.
About the Chef
Dédé Wilson is the author of 17 cookbooks, including co-author of The Low FODMAP Diet: Step By Step. Recipe brought to you by FODMAP Everyday® where we help you thrive while following the Low FODMAP Diet.
This original low FODMAP recipe was created by recipe developer and author Dédé Wilson. You can find many more original low FODMAP recipes, food and diet guidance as well as resources, support and more at FODMAP Everyday®.